||PAINTING & DECORATING APPRENTICESHIP
FINISHING TRADES INSTITUTE (FTI)
Florida Program Number: I460408
Total Hours: 4 Years
Our mission is to encourage equal access to all segments of the population into the program, by providing vocational training, addressing the problems of qualified employees, and insuring that the highest level of quality training is maintained.
This apprenticeship program requires the apprentice to be employed by a participating employer/sponsor and enrolled in a formal program registered and approved by the US Department of labor and the Florida Department of Education. Apprentices, in addition to employment, are required to participate in structured part-time training-related coursework specifically aligned with the apprenticeship standards approved by the above state and federal agencies.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Drivers License or Picture ID card
- Social Security Card
- Record of previous experience, where applicable
- The State of Florida requires students to meet a basic skills requirement prior to program completion
When they complete the program, the apprentices are advanced to “journeyman” status.
JOB TRAINING INCLUDES: Occupational Completion Point (OCP)
OCPs provide a student with early completion training options linked to employment opportunities established by the Florida Department of Education based on the Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) system and accepted industry titles.
Local employers have verified that the range of wages that can be reasonably expected by students who enter this field upon completion of the program is:
From $32,240. annually to $40,560. annually
(Based on year-round, full-time employment)
- Demonstrate the ability to work safely
- Select, use, and care for tools and equipment, scaffolding and ladders
- Demonstrate proficiency in the preparation of surfaces
- Demonstrate the use of the materials used in painting
- Demonstrate proper application of materials used in painting using brushes, rollers, and sprayers
- Fit and apply wallpaper
- Apply stains, varnishes, lacquers and acrylics
- Use chemical stripping and cleaning solutions
- Estimate costs and provide quotations
- Advise on the suitability of different materials
- Demonstrate appropriate communication skills
- Demonstrate appropriate math skills
- Demonstrate appropriate understanding of basic science
- Demonstrate employability skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of entrepreneurship